Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Cross Country 2014

Our school cross country had to be postponed twice in term 2 due to terrible rain and snow.
We finally got to hold our event on Friday and it was a lovely, hot spring day up Gabriel's Gully. Everyone was very excited about running in their race. We have written some personal recounts about the our race. Enjoy.
 "On your marks, get set, GO!" Everyone charged towards the front, hoping not to get stuck behind someone slower than them but that didn't work out too well for me. I got stuck behind Briar from Waitahuna and I could not pass her because it was a very skinny track. I sprinted as fast as I could. Suddenly the track grew wider so I passed three other people and was then running in fourth place, hard out. My legs well getting tired, I was getting hot. As we came around the pond that was when I wanted to jump into it, but I didn't. "Go girs, go, you're almost finished," Mrs O echoed two or three times.  I carried on running up the hill to where the finish line was waiting for me. I ran and ran, passed the finish line, finishing in fourth place.  'Phew, I'm glad that's over for another year,' I thought to myself. - Alyssa
"Ready, set, go! Bang!"Yeah, I was coming second. Oh no, I was getting puffed. Even worse, I was stopping! Josie, Alyssa, Imogen and Lanie all ran in front of me. What could I do?... 10 minutes later ..."Huff! Huff! Huff!" I did the best I could Tenth is good I think. What will I come next year? - Anna
Running in front of two people I had been dying to beat. Te Aroha was one of the people I wanted to beat and she was just behind me so I walked up the hill. That was where the race started. Everyone was yelling "Go! Go!" but then I looked behind me. Te Aroha was catching up. I had stitch really badly. Te Aroha and I were in a tie, then... Te Aroha beat me! I came 15th. Te Aroha came 14th. At least I got an ice-block still. POOR ME - Arnika
I was only about 5metres in front of Lachie, then it happened... I could see the finish line waiting for me. I looked behind me. Lachie was gaining on me. Then I was about 10metres from the finish line. Lachie started to slow down then I put on my speedy legs and zoomed to the finish line. "Yay!" the race was done and I beat Lachie. - Bryce
Heart beating, hands shaking, legs wobbling. "On your marks, get set, GO!" shouted Mrs. Taylor. I ran as fast as I could. I was coming 6th then Isla ran passed me. Then a whole bunch of people went passed me. I felt angry when all these people ran passed. It was the end of the race. I came 11th. Finally I had finished the race. - Charlotte
Bryce and I got out of the bus and when we saw the track we jumped up and down like Chimpanzees. - Clifton

"On your marks, get set, clap!" I ran as fast as I could. Lanie was in the lead. I raced in front of Anna, then Imogen sped in front of me. There were weeds on the track so I went through them. Charlotte was in front of me. I looked behind me. There was a girl behind me from Waitahuna. I sprinted to the finish line. The girls behind me passed me then I was at the finish line. I came ninth. - Isla
Heart pounding. Tummy turning. Feet in position. Then off I went, dodging through the trees, trying to pass Anna. Then I was passed Anna. Dying to jump in the frog pond, I trotted passed, Mrs O cheering me on. Climbing up the hill, neck and neck with Lanie. Then I tripped. Making my way to the end in 2nd place. I was so proud of myself. - Josie
"On your marks, get set, go!" Mrs Taylor screamed. I sprinted off the start line. I was in the lead. We went passed all of the trees and then we came to the frog pond. I saw Mrs O. She said,"Keep going girls!" All of a sudden we were at the wall. I climbed up fast and I sprinted to the finish line. I was still in the lead and then I had won! - Lanie
I was shaking from head to toe on the start line.
"On your marks, get set, go!" I ran as fast as I could. Lachie and i had a battle.
Climbing up the hill, huffing and puffing. Finally I made it up. I was so nervous, thinking that Nate would pass me. I raced in to the single file part and I said to myself "Yes!" - Regan
There it is, almost there. The finish line was right there. I looked behind me. Regan was right behind me, but ... then, what do you know? Toby passed Regan! He was about one and a half metres behind me and then he was beside me. Then, bang, he passed me right on the finish line! - Ryan
My heart was pounding. Arnika was in front of me. I was racing. Arnika and I were in a tie. I was giving it all. I got in front of Arnika and then I beat Arnika. _ Te Aroha
My mind is racing. My feet are thundering. My stomach is doing triple somersaults... I'm forcing myself up the rocky hill. My mind makes a split decision. Sprint? Or Jog? It's sprint! I click into sprint mode. I'm in fourth place. My eyes stare at the finish line and I sprint. 3rd, 2nd. I glance across at Ryan and power into first place... - Toby
I saw Kade running with one shoe. I kindly asked Kade if I could tie his shoe up.
"No," said Mrs O, "I will do it William."
"But thanks for asking William," said Kade. So I kept on running. one minute later, ZOOM. What was that?! Kade ran passed me. At the finish Kade was giving everyone high fives. I passed him when he was stopped and I beat him. - William

No comments:

Post a Comment