Monday, May 21, 2012

Bungy Jumping Quick Write

We have started a new writing initiative in Room 4, where three times per week we begin the day with a five minute 'Quick-Write'.  When the students arrive at school there is a picture displayed on the interactive whiteboard.  They notice it straight away and begin talking about what is happening and how they might interpret this picture.  Once the first bell rings the students have 5 minutes only to write about the picture (no talking).  They can interpet it any way that they like - some students will write a recount of the event, others will make it a 'What am I?' description, some may write instructions.....
After 5 minutes we have three volunteers who share their writing with the class, receiving feedback about their work.  To finish off, the students buddy up and share their writing with a classmate.
The aim of our 'Quick Write' sessions is to give students more opportunites to write, write, write.  We hope to be able to reflect on these as the year progresses and help students to notice the improvements in both the quantity and quality of their writing over time. The response has been so positive that the students are disappointed on the two days of the week that we don't begin with a 'Quick Write'.

Here is a selection of Quick Writes from Friday 18th May 2012 (those students who handed their Mrs O writing books in for Mrs O to take home for the weekend)


“Ahhhhhh,” I yelled as I jumped off the bridge.  Everyone around me was cheering.  I’m going down but not far down because the rope has hold of me.  That was good because I would have hit the bush! - Abby

“Ah, ah” as I jump off the edge.  It feels like I’m unhooked. I put my arms out.  I go fast.  I plunge down and come back up to the edge. - Regen


Whoosh!  I run over the bridge and get ready for a real xtreme sport.  They slap on a stretchy thing around my legs.  “3, 2, 1 JUMP!” said the man.  It feels like watching someone jumping off the bridge at the Queenstown bungy jumping place.  A shiver runs up my spine....  SNAP!! - Mac


“AAAAAH”  I’m off the bridge screaming so hard and then people were screaming so hard back at me and then I’m near the ground and I hit the water and I’m still going “aaaaah” all over the place.  Then I go back up.  It feels like I’m a spider going up and up and up until I’m right at the top.  The people say “Do it again” but I say right in their ear “NO!!!!!” - Connie


“Aarrh” I screamed as someone pushed me.  I was going up and down.  I can only see water.  I thought I was going to fall into the water.  The man said “Time’s up!” - Emma


Help!! I thought as the rope snapped and a person body slammed into me.  Lots of waves rippled through my water as the drowning person died.  I can stand screaming, yelling but not being hit by a blasted person I decided.  Somebody’s rope snapping has only happened twice. - Rylee


“What the heck” I screamed.  Someone pushed me when I wasn’t ready.  It feels like the strap is going to snap. I hear it starting to snap....  SNAP!  Good thing there’s a life boat under me with someone in it. - Alex


“Ahhhh!”  as I get pushed off the platform I scream.  As I get closer and closer to the water suddenly, snap, the rope breaks.  I fall into the water and hit a huge fish.  Then I swim back to the shore and I said to myself ‘That was cool before the rope snapped!’ - Kate


AHHHHH I’m falling to the ground.  My heart is pumping.  Why did I choose to do this?  This is ridiculous.  Hope I do not get wet and the rope brings me back up.  I’m thinking of course it would.  I'm not dumb.... - Rubie


OK, here I go.  3, 2, 1 Ahhhhh.  I’ve got shivers down my back.  The air is flying through my hair so fast that it burns.  I hit the bottom.  Snap the rope goes...   AHHH!!! - William


Finally we arrive at the bridge.  Right it’s my go.  I’m all set.  I jump into the air.  Down I go.  Not doing that again. - Blake


Where am I?  There’s people shouting at me.  The people are making a bad feeling for me and the other people that are doing it.  But will the cord hold?  - Hamish

“Aaah” I screamed.  I jumped off.  I fell into the water.  I came back up.  - Paris

“Ahhhh” I scream as I fall.  I think that the rope will snap.  The person pushes me off the platform.  I think my shoes are going to fall off! - MaxAS I jump off the bank I go “Ahhhhh” head first.  The water is really fast.   A life boat came and rescued me. - Jenaya



"Ahhhh!"  I got pushed off.  I was not ready .  The clips were not on properly. I started screaming.  As I slowly closed my eyes I think I saw a fish jump out of the water.  I think the rope is going to snap.  SNAP...  - Lucie



The people jump aiming at me.  I am scared because he might land on me and hurt me!  He is only 20 metres from me.  Thank goodness he doesn’t land on me and he flies up.  - Toby

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete