Monday, June 18, 2012

Winter - Writing



This morning was a particulalrly cold morning, and due to the ice and treacherous road conditions many students were late getting to school. We decided it was a wonderful opportunity to write about the things we 'noticed' and 'observed' outside. Our challenge was to use our eyes as our tool and to notice as many things as we could as we stood outside silently. When we retunred to the class, without talking, we had to take up our pencil and write about all of the things we had seen. We think you will agree that it resulted in some pretty spectacular writing. (We had just 7 minutes to write all that we had seen...)

Cool. There is so much to see. Icicles hanging, frozen stones I can see. A frozen stick on the ground as well.
Toby


Outside I see lots of trees and ice. Slippery and scary. Lots of ice across it. It is cold outside. Everything is covered in ice, not as thick as yesterday. I can see the monkey bars.
Lucy S


I can see the clouds moving like thunder rattling. There’s poles as cold as a cold pool. There is ice that makes the concrete slippery.
Max


The green, long grass had changed. It now had a silver wisp of frost across the top. What normally was a normal white rail had long and short, frozen white and clear icicles. Up above, in the sky, was grey clouds dropping down rain. Green hills had turned to look more silvery and the playground was icy and frozen. The ground was now a huge sheet of ice covered puddles. The world looks so magical covered in frost.
Rylee


As I slowly turn around I can see a whole heap of frost covering all the big hills, looking like a layer of snow covering the hills. I can see ice smothering the footpaths and roads. I could see all of the stones all stuck together like they are medium sized rocks. I can see half the trees have leaves and the other half with frost on them. I can see fires going to keep people warm inside their houses.
Kate


I see rocks as still as a statue, stones as silver as a sword. I look around me, the grass looks like a snowflake. I only hear drip, drip, drip around me. I look at my hands. They are as frozen as a snowman. I run my hands together to keep them warm. I shiver and shake as the frost gets stronger.
George


Icy, icicles on the ramp. Slippery ice on the ground. Little drips of raindrops falling from the sky. Grey clouds slowly moving. Brown smoke coming from the chimney. Wind slowly floating in the air. Plants swaying everywhere. They are still not moving a little bit. Frost and ice on the playground equipment. Seats covered in frost. Cars slowly coming down the icy hill. The tennis courts are icy.
Jessica

The grass is covered in frost. Ice is on the ground and the playground is freezing. The trees are losing leaves and you have to be careful you don’t slip over. It’s so cold outside you’ll freeze and the tennis court is frozen and slippery.
Emma


I’m outside and I can see humungous blanket of frost and ice. Smoke is bursting out of chimneys. The sky is grey and dark. It’s freezing, silent and cold. I can see people in classrooms working hard. I breathe and it looks like a big volcano with smoke coming out. It’s freezing cold and it’s grey and dark. It’s all quiet like everybody school is asleep. the mountains are covered in frost. I think it is going to rain.
Connie


Drip, drip, drip, I see water falling, nature as still as ice. I see fog lifting on the far side of the hill. Cars going as slow as the sun. The frost is slowly lifting. Leaves fall like it’s still autumn. Ice defrosts like it’s got heaters on it.
William


I’m looking around. i can see frost on the hills, smoke from Mr Healy’s shed. I see cars parked, driving past. Snowflakes from Room 7, classrooms, ice, the playground. All sorts of things, people, myself. Tennis courts, puddles too. Tables, trees, fields, outside games, rocks, wood, sandpit, shelter too.
Alex


Well do you think it’s cold. If you don’t, I do. I can see smoke coming out of chimneys, the ground is all icy, the sky is white like a big white blanket, little ice drops flutter to the ground like little white bugs hit the ground. Kids, teachers, in classrooms keeping warm.
Lucie


Drip, drip, drip. I can see dripping water dripping from the ceilings of houses. Black ice blanketed across a tincy bit of the concrete. Steam is puffing out of my mouth, smoke rising from the chimneys and cars driving carefully, slowly and carefully up the hills. The skys are as grey as an old grey cat. The trees are as pale as can be.
Lucy W


Brrr. What I saw was ice, ice, ice, everywhere. The school is like an iceberg. Smoke booming out of people’s houses. I also saw people in their houses trying to keep warm!!!
Rubie

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous18 June, 2012

    Wow Room 4, what FANTASTIC writing today. I can tell that you really did use your senses well as you have noticed so many details around you this morning. I'm pleased to hear that you all got to school safely. Jake and Sam had no school today as the roads around Clydevale were so treacherous and the school buses could not travel safely this morning. I didn't even step outside my front door until after lunch! I hope that I have a safe trip over to see you all tomorrow. Mrs O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19 June, 2012

    Great quick writes Room 4 especially the winter quick writes.Man it was cold yesterday.I'm glad it's not the same today.Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous20 June, 2012

    WOW room4 I really like your quick writes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUBIE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous20 June, 2012

    Wow room 4 these are great I like the similes.Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous20 June, 2012

    great work room4.emma

    ReplyDelete